Monday, January 23, 2012

Finding my way...

As I have been pondering what it takes for me to blossom as an artist, I realized that sometimes you really need to take the scientific approach. Let me explain. For the past year I have taken every course on mixed media art and Photoshop that I could get my hands on. And I know that in that time I have learned a lot. But the problem is, that once the course is over, and you can't go back and watch the videos, the knowledge can be lost. So I realized that in my attempt to find my artistic voice, I was trying everything, but not choosing anything. What I really want to come away with is a sense of what techniques and colour palettes work for me. So here is what I have been playing with:


I call it my technique chart, and in it I write down what does (and sometimes does not) work for me. So as I try new things, I can write remember them. Shockingly simple I know, but sometimes it is the most obvious idea that eludes us. I love how I am learning to paint like Kelly Rae Roberts and process photos like Kim Klassen, but what I want is to take what I learn from them and create something that is truly ME. I want to make my own ART.


On that note, here is a fun background texture I just made combining some ideas from both Kelly Rae's techniques, Kim's processing, and my own play. My husband said it made him think of Steampunk, so that's what I called it.


I would love to hear your thoughts on defining your artistic voice, and whether it came naturally to you, or it was something you had to work at.

Have a beautiful day!



2 comments:

  1. i think it's a bit of both - my artistic voice has always been there, hidden under other careers, family stuff and 'sensible grown up-ness'. now that i've unleashed it i find i do need to work at some things while others just seem to appear.
    i'm not sure if my voice is fully developed yet, but it's fun finding out

    ReplyDelete
  2. so funny, I was reading and thought, you should know about Kelly Rae, then read further! I write everything down to remember, so many techniques to remember. It's so important to take the essence of teachers insights then find yourself and build confidence. Love your work :)

    ReplyDelete