Sunday, August 26, 2012

Strength and Balance

Strength. This is something I am sorely lacking at the moment. I have not done any form of physical exercise since October. My second pregnancy has left me much worse off than my first did, and I am finding for the first time in my life that I am more concerned about how physically week I am than what size I am (which is not to say that I am particularly happy to be a size 14 right now, but that it takes second place to my concern that I feel like an old woman when I try to get up off the couch).
So right now I am slowly starting to get my body moving again. I look forward to the day when I feel strong enough to even attempt this yoga pose again. It will come, a little bit at a time. In the meantime, I will just have to remember that creating new life is a big endeavor, and that I shouldn't let these minor frustrations take away from enjoying my baby. The upside of the second time around is that I am a much more relaxed mommy than I was the first time, and that is a real plus.

I just read a great quote from Brene Brown in an interview on Kelly Rae Roberts' blog:

"I’m done with balance. For years it just felt like one more thing I wasn’t doing well. Now my goal is values alignment and clarity of choice. I want to live fully grounded in my values and I want to be clear about the choices I’m making."

I love this quote, because it sums up for me how I want to live my life. I don't want to beat myself up because I don't have perfect balance. The baby phase is all about imbalance. You can't do everything. Some days you can't do much of anything ;) But I can say for sure that right now I am doing exactly what I want to be doing, living life according to my values. And all the things that don't get done today, they will still be there tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the expression "You CAN have it all, just not at the same time." :) Hang in there - you will get stronger every day, in your own time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha! That is exactly what my good friend said to me the first time I had a baby :)

    ReplyDelete