Saturday, April 20, 2013

Instagram Instant




“May what I do flow from me like a river, 
no forcing and no holding back, 
the way it is with children.”
― Rainer Maria Rilke


Sometimes a week will fly by full of family stuff and suddenly I realize that 
I have not spent any time at my art desk. Last week was that kind of week.


When I finally got a chance to sit down and put some paint to canvas,
it felt great! So much of painting is like a meditation to me.
I have a total case of hamster brain most days,
with the wheels endlessly spinning and going nowhere.
When I paint (or sing, or take pictures)
I lose myself in the moment,
focused purely on the now,
on moving through the motions
with my intuitive sense,
not my thinking mind.


Oprah had this segment on her show years ago
where she asked people what they do
to remember their spirit.
I loved that bit.
The answers ranged from golfing
to cooking to vacuuming.
Whatever gets you into that mindless
state of flow is a wonderful thing.

So I would love to know,
what is that thing for you?
That moment when you are purely
alive and feeling, not thinking.

I hope whatever it is,
you get some time this week
to have that experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment