Monday, January 13, 2014

Donna's Blooms

I am always inspired by the work of Donna Downey, and in honor of the fact that I will be taking a workshop in person with her this Sunday (SO EXCITED!) I wanted to share with you a piece I painted recently based on one of her Inspiration Wednesday tutorials. Here is the link to Donna's piece so you can see the original. And here is my version of it:






I'll show you a little of the process. First I used Golden Heavy Body acrylic medium to attach a collection of paper and fabric flowers from my stash. Then I pulled out my giant tub of spackle and slapped it down randomly around the flowers. That looked really bad, so I grabbed an evergreen sprig from a beautiful floral arrangement my friend Samantha had given me. I pressed it into the spackle and got a really cool texture. At this point it looked like this:



The spackle dries white by the way. And after it was dry, I coated it with gesso, so it looked like this:




And then I used Golden Titanium White, Martha Stuart Beach Glass Aquamarine and Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold. I finished it off with a coat of Golden Self Levelling Clear Gel. Here are some close ups of the texture:








So that's a bit of what I have been up to lately.


Thanks for stopping by!

Joyelle




No comments:

Post a Comment