Thursday, March 20, 2014

Beauty Matters



Lately I have been thinking about the importance of connecting with true beauty. How noticing the beauty all around us connects us to our hearts and reminds us of all the good in this world.

When I talk about beauty, I'm not talking about the manufactured "beauty" that we see in glossy magazines which involve a whole lot of make-up, lighting and Photoshop editing. I'm talking about noticing those things that we walk by every day. The dew drops in the morning, hanging off a spider web like pearls on a string. The first snowdrop unfolding, signalling the coming of spring. A smile on a baby's face as he looks with love at his mother. These little moments that we can miss when we forget to pay mindful attention. 

I miss these moments all the time. I'm walking along with my kids and they are doing something totally adorable, and I am just in my own head, focused on where we are going or making lists in my head. And then I notice a stranger smiling at my kids, because she sees them, really sees them. And I am reminded to tune in again. To be in the present with them, and to give them that attention that says "I see you", the kind of attention we all need.

Or maybe I walk right by the daffodils and crocuses that are popping out of the ground here right now. And I miss out on that connection, the amazing energy that connects us all to the earth. This moment of remembering my true nature of oneness with all things.

When we stop and open ourselves to beauty, we are reminded of the beauty inside of us. Much like the yoga phrase Namaste, which means the goodness in me bows to the goodness in you. We can offer that presence to a flower or another person. Either way it is a gift that gives back in return.

I don't know how you all are feeling, but I have been really overwhelmed lately by the negativity. Feeling so sensitive to the cruelty of the world, from the trend of cut-down commentary online to the horrible news of people hurting each other everywhere. It is so easy to become jaded and stop believing in goodness. But I don't want to live like that. So I make a promise (again) to stop and notice. Notice the smell of spring in the air, notice my baby's laughter, notice the kindness of neighbors. And remember that goodness is everywhere. We just need to see it.

Love, kindness and gratitude,


1 comment: