Wednesday, September 17, 2014

My Book as featured on thev3h.com!

 Having a proud mama moment here. Just had to share this lovely article written by Amber Strocel at thev3h.com all about Princess Monsters from A to Z:


Local Artist Releases Empowering Children’s Book


Princess Monsters Joyelle Brandt

For anyone who has ever felt like they don’t fit in, Port Moody artist and author Joyelle Brandt has written a fun and meaningful children’s book about the beauty of our individuality. Princess Monsters from A to Z is an enchanting collection of lovable characters, one for each letter of the alphabet. You’ll meet them all, from wrestling champion Elian, to troublemaker Mayzee, to the cat juggling Zibbo. I had the chance to get my eyes on a draft copy when Joyelle and I both escaped with some other local ladies for an evening on the patio at Onyx, and I loved it.

The Princess Monsters aren’t just a collection of not-so-conventionally-pretty faces. They have a diverse range of interests, from art to science to dispute mediation. Each character’s description is written in rhyming verse, making the book an entertaining read-aloud bedtime story. But the best part is the empty picture frame on the first page, a space left for its readers to create their own Princess Monster – or Princess Monsters. Joyelle says, “I want to inspire girls to imagine whatever kind of life they want for themselves. And maybe that starts with imagining what her Princess Monster self might look like.”

Joyelle was inspired to write a book for girls who struggle to find their place. She explains, “I always felt like an outsider growing up because I didn’t think I fit into the typical model of beauty. I want girls to read this book and see themselves in it, and know that there is so much more to be than just pretty.” Amen to that. I have both a daughter and a son, though, and I can say that I think my son would enjoy and benefit from this book as well. We can all use a lesson in looking beyond the surface.

As if being an artist and author isn’t enough, Joyelle is also a singer and songwriter. As a special bonus the book also comes with a song titled “Monster in Me”. Parents can download an MP3 of the song after they purchase the book to sing along with.

The book will be officially released on September 20, 2014, but pre-sales are already happening now. To find out more and see sample pages drop by www.etsy.com/shop/JoyelleBrandt.

No comments:

Post a Comment