Monday, March 9, 2015

Writing Play

Last week I attended Max Tell's Writing for Kidz group. It was such a fun experience to meet with other writers and play through some creative exercises together. One of our writing prompts was the word Petunia, so I thought I would share my object writing on that prompt with you. We had 5 minutes to write about the word Putunia before the timer went off and we had to stop writing and share what we had written with each other. Doing an exercise like this with a group is so fun, to see where each person's brain travels to from the same starting point.


Petunia

Petunia.
I like the way it feels
In my mouth
When I say it.
Like a mini roller coaster ride
That my tongue goes on.
As I walk down the street,
Sneakers scuffing the pavement,
I say it over and over.
Petunia. Petunia. Petunia.
Little tickles of vibration
Travel through my lips
And across my cheeks.
Some words are just fun to say
I think.
Petunia. Petunia. Petunia.
The slight pucker of my lips
As they form the P,
The whoosh of breath on the Eh,
The gentle caress of the Oo
And the slight uplift of Ee-Ah
My mouth is dancing a jig.

One of the things I liked most about this day was the chance to get back to creative play, where I am creating just for the joy of it, not working to a project. The other thing I loved was just getting to create with other people around, and have someone to get instant feedback from. Although I love the solitude of my work for the most part, it can be a lonely endeavor at times. It's nice to chat with other creatives and have a sense of creative community.

If you would like to join the Writing for Kidz group, visit the Facebook page here for more info.






1 comment:

  1. Joyelle, Thank you so much for joining us. It was a pleasure to have your creative input. Look forward to seeing yu next week. Thank you again. Max

    ReplyDelete