Monday, October 18, 2010

Music Monday - Autumn Leaves

This week's Music Monday challenge comes from the classic jazz standard, Autumn Leaves

But I miss you most of all, my darling
When autumn leaves start to fall

I chose these lyrics for a couple of reasons. We are coming up on Halloween, which most people associate with witches, candies, and ghosts. But the origins of this holiday are actually deeply spiritual, and are about honoring and remembering our ancestors and others that have passed on.

For me personally, it is the three year anniversary of the death of Grandma Elaine, who passed away on October 27, 2007. This holiday is always a sad reminder of her loss. So this image is all about grandma Elaine. Her sewing is stitched into the fabric of this image, a reminder of the baby blanket for my son her death left unfinished. The central ghost image is a dead flower, which was in her garden on the first anniversary of her death. The third ghost image is a shot of the clouds over Fanny Bay, also taken one year after her death. And of course, the first ghost image is Elaine herself. Still miss you Elaine.



For those of you who would like to join the Music Monday challenge, please post a link to your image in the comments thread by Saturday night, and on Sunday I'll display all your works! Courtesy of the lovely women at Collage Obsession, here are instructions about how to link to your image:

Here is a very simple instruction how you can add a link to your comment. You don't have to use this, but it makes your link easy to use. Only thing you need, is this simple code:
<a href="link">text to click on</a>

First replace the link with the permanent link to your work (leave the apostrophes). Next replace text to click on with your own message.

Here is a sample:
<a href="http://collageobsessionchallenge.blogspot.com/">my first entry.</a>

And a sneak peak for next week, the theme comes from a song title, courtesy of Madonna: Forbidden Love.

Have a beautiful day!

Joyelle

5 comments:

  1. Your example is wonderful Joyelle...a very loving & tender tribute...and beautful artwork.

    I have a whole different take on a great set of lyrics...thanks:


    http://thewhimseyasylum.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet tribute to your grandmother. I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is. That is a beautiful picture of her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love your tribute to your grandmother. Mine is a rather sad saga but I haven't done many of these types of art for a LONG time.
    Debbie

    http://thepaintsplash.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I am happy to find another challenge blog! Thank you for creating Music Monday! Great idea!
    I am sorry your sadness & loss.
    I, myself, Like Grannie have a different approach to the lyrics as well. Thanks again! Glad to participate in your challenge!

    Check out my take on Autumn Leaves

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice entry in 2 Things Challenge also.Great collage and tribute.

    ReplyDelete