Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Inspiration Wednesday - David Mack and Lynda Barry

As I mentioned last week I am a big comic book geek. This came as a result of marrying a comic book geek and needing something to do while he wandered the comic shop aisles. I fell in love with my husband, but also learned to love Terry Moore, David Mack, Neil Gaiman, and many others. And yes, in 2006 I did travel to the San Diego Comicon with my husband to fully geek out together. We saw a full Star Wars wedding! Such a cool experience.


Anyway, I wanted to focus this week on two comic book artists whose work I find super inspiring. These artists have two things in common: they both use collage in their work, and they both use a format known for escapism to explore the big things in life: identity, creativity, and social constructs, to name a few. What these artists do best is use a fantastical framework to explore our mundane realities.


I met David Mack at the Comicon, and we brought home several pieces of his artwork, including this piece with the leaves below. You can check out the full array of work he has done on his website, but if you were going to pick up one book of his, get the collected Kabuki: The Alchemy. Kabuki is a former Japanese assassin, starting a new life in the US. Along the way she explores identity, reality, creativity, and just about everything else. Kabuki: The Alchemy has been nominated for five Eisner Awards, four International Eagle Awards, the Harvey Award, and the Kirby Award. And while I don't know what most of those awards are, it still sounds impressive, doesn't it?






Next up is a new discovery for me, happened upon at the public library while picking out comic books for my son. Lynda Barry's book What It Is jumped off the shelf at me. Here is the description from Chapters.ca, which I think sums it up perfectly:


"Deliciously drawn (with fragments of collage worked into each page), insightful and bubbling with delight in the process of artistic creation. A+" (Salon.com) How do objects summon memories? What do real images feel like? For decades, these types of questions have permeated the pages of Lynda Barry''s compositions, with words attracting pictures and conjuring places through a pen that first and foremost keeps on moving. What It Is demonstrates a tried-and-true creative method that is playful, powerful and accessible to anyone with an inquisitive wish to write or to remember.



I think this book should be on every artist's shelf for those days when you need a little spark to get your creativity going. You can check out a preview of the book on her publisher's website, here.


Coming up on Friday, play with fruit ;)


Have a beautiful day!


Joyelle

No comments:

Post a Comment