Monday, January 31, 2011

Mixed Media Monday: Earth Butterfly

So last Monday I showed you this background:


And I thought I would tell you how I made it, because I got to use some techniques that I just learned in the Strathmore Visual Journal class with Pam Carriker. First I stamped with a white opaque StaZon stamp pad onto 140 lb watercolour paper. Then I used watered down acryic paint in pthalo blue and pthalo turquoise, and applied with a sea sponge, then wiped off with paper towel to bring back out the detail in the stamping. And finally I added some soft pastel to fill in the spaces. And then I mounted it onto this cool wooden frame (like a deep canvas) using double sided tape, and sanded the edges. And I made this: 


The butterfly was made with acrylic paint, gel pens and micron pens on 140 lb watercolour paper. I used some Ranger Glossy Accents to bring out the eyes. And this is my first foray into using wire, so that was kind of fun! I am thinking I want to make a series of these around the four elements, this one being earth.

I will leave you with one last thought and wish you a Happy Monday:

The butterfly counts not months but moments, and has time enough.
-Rabindranath Tagore

Have a beautiful day!



1 comment:

  1. Lovely Post :D
    thought you might like my machinima film the butterfly's tale~
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1fO8SxQs-E
    Bright Blessings
    elf ~

    ReplyDelete