Saturday, December 3, 2011

Kind Acts Advent Day 3

Welcome to Day 3 of my Kind Acts Advent Calendar. This morning my son got up and said "Mom, I want to make some Christmas art." So we are sitting at the kitchen table making Christmas cards when he hears the lyric "All of the other reindeer used to laugh and call him names / They wouldn't let poor Rudolph join in any reindeer games." and he says to me "I would say hi to Rudolph." I love that kid so much!


Today's piece of art is a mixed media/digital piece. I scanned in the painted background and added the text in photoshop. The quote is by Indian Poet/songwriter/artist Rabindranath Tagore, who was the first non-European Noble Laureate, earning the 1913 prize in literature. If you get a chance to read some of his poetry, it is absolutely beautiful.

And today's Kind Act from my People4Good iPhone App is:

Go say hello to your neighbour.

My husband and I moved into our townhouse when the development was first built, six years ago. That first summer I organized a block party, and began a tradition of community events that continues today. Our street has weathered a few storms, with the typical grudges and cliques that inevetably occur when people live in close quarters, but overall, the spirit of community has prevailed. So I can say from personal experience that investing in getting to know your neighbours is something that can really bring great happiness over the long term. And that's what I love about kindness, that when you act in the spirit of kindness it really has vast returns in your life.

I would love to hear your stories of kindness given or received. How has a kind act made a difference in your life?





No comments:

Post a Comment