Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Random Acts of Kindness, Day 2


It's Day 2 of Random Acts of Kindness week, and today I'm sharing a story of one kind act that I got the whole family in on recently.

Last week I went for a walk through Shoreline Park and was dismayed to see people have been treating the forest like their personal garbage bin. When I told Gabe about it, he was outraged that people were mis-treating "his" forest. So on the weekend, my family and I went on a clean-up mission. We found bags and bags of dog poop (really people?), disposable cups, and many other assorted bits of garbage, including one prescription bottle with a POISON label on it. (So wanted to call up the person who that belonged to and tell them off, but I held back).

Photo by Robert Brandt

This little kindness mission is really an important message for my boys. Because I know that they are inheriting an earth that has been dumped on. It is not their mess, but it is going to be their job to clean it up. For Gabe to take ownership in this way, it makes a mama proud. I know as his little brother grows up, Gabe will teach him these things too. And I am reminded of this quote from Mother Teresa:

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.” 

Photo by Robert Brandt
I want these boys to grow up with a deep and abiding love for the earth, and I see that happening, and it brings me great joy.

These small acts of kindness will define us in the end.



P.S. I will be sending mail art love all week long. If you would like to receive some mail art, or know someone who could use a little love note, visit yesterday's post to find out how to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment