Friday, December 13, 2013

On the 7th Day of Christmas Comfort...


Welcome back to our exploration of how we can be kinder to ourselves and and others during the holiday season!


Is anyone else finding that their to-do list is exploding? I am just about bursting over here. I'd like to give out some props to all the moms and dads out there who are working really hard to give their kids happy holiday memories. I know how much work it is, and you are so tired. It is really amazing how much we will do for them. And yet, sometimes we need to let go of all the to-do and just be in the moment with them. Gabe asked me if he could stay home yesterday. He had a runny nose, but really he could have gone to school. However, there was snow on the ground, and here on the west coast you may only get one day of it. He wanted to play in the snow with me. He didn't want to go play with all his friends at school, he wanted to play with me. So that's what we did. We made a tiny snow-man, pulled out the beach tools and made snow castles, and then played Hulk smash and destroyed them all (baby Gavin thought that part was hilarious).


The lesson I took from snow day is that it is important to stop and play. Today that means my kind of play, exploring new art techniques with the book Painted Pages by Sarah Ahearn Bellemare. Lately I have been so busy with art making that feels more like another item on the to-do list than my spiritual calling. Play takes me back to my source, back to the reason I started making art in the first place. It gives me a place to process pent-up emotions and remember who I truly am.

So my wish for you today, is that you get a few moments to play.

Happy Holidays,

Joyelle

No comments:

Post a Comment