Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Taught Me Video is Done!

The Taught Me Slideshow

Little known fact about me: I have a piece of paper gathering dust in the basement that says I am a teacher. No, really I do. I went through the UBC teacher training program a lifetime ago, and here is what I learned. Teaching is hard. Like, really, really hard. I did my practicum in a kindergarten class, and got to see first hand that civilizing a group of 18-20 kids is one hell of a job. Never mind actually teaching them something. In that class we had two children with severe fetal alcohol syndrome, one sweet little girl who regularly came to school without breakfast, and a slew of other challenges. The classroom teacher purchased art supplies out of her pocket because otherwise there wouldn't have been enough to go around. And she bought stickers and little prizes for the kids, because that's just what someone who loves children does.

At the end of my teaching program I walked across the stage and gathered that piece of paper, knowing that I had no desire to go into this profession. Why? Because I knew it would take all I had. All my energy, all my creativity. And I wanted to sing songs and make art. I knew that going into teaching would take more than I wanted to give to a job.

Since my oldest son started school I have seen the inspired and dedicated teachers at his school work so incredibly hard, and it is 100% confirming for me that I made the right choice. I go into his classroom and spend one hour playing music for the kids, and at the end I am exhausted. I don't know how these teachers do it all day long, day after day. I have so much respect for people who dedicate their lives to this profession.

So as I have been reading the news, and seeing the appalling way our government has been dealing with the teachers contract negotiations, all I kept thinking was that I wanted to write a song for them. I want them to know that someone sees them, and that what they do is important, and that they are changing people's lives.

So here it is, my thank you to all the teachers out there. You all amaze me!


I need to thank all the wonderful people in this video who sent in their pictures, and the students of the NorKam Secondary Choir for helping me make this vision into reality.

If there is a teacher in your life who has made a difference, let them know. Send them this video along with a great big thank you.

Have a beautiful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment