Thursday, December 8, 2011

Day 8 of the Kind Acts Advent

Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow! Today I opened my inbox to a delightful surprise! I was scrolling through the weekly e-newsletter from Create Mixed Media, when I saw my own artwork! How cool is that? Here is the piece they featured: 


This is a mixed media journal page that I created earlier this year when I was taking an online workshop with Pam Carriker. I am really proud of the technique, but also it was really helpful to process some really difficult stuff I was going through. The text reads "Drowning in a sea of tears, praying that hope floats." And this is why kindness is so important to me, because I have lived through a lot of ups and downs, and I know that a little bit of kindness can mean a world of difference. Your smile, or opening the door for someone, or offering to help with their groceries, all these little acts, can make a huge difference in that person's day. The next time you are in line at the grocery store, or the bank, look at the person next to you. You have no idea what they might be struggling with right now. Kindness opens our hearts, so we can see that we are all human, that we all struggle sometimes, and we are all basically the same.

So, on that note, for Day 8 of our Kind Acts Advent Calendar, my People4Good iPhone app says:

Be extra-friendly with store personnel.

I'm sure your clerk at Starbucks or that mall employee who your are buying Christmas presents from will appreciate it. Because odds are, their feet hurt, they are tired, and someone was just really rude to them. 

Have a beautiful day, and may a little kindness come your way.


2 comments:

  1. COngrats to you for being featured.. so so happy for you! Love your art dear, hope u are enjoying this holiday season! xo hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your insights, Joyelle. So true. Hope your tears have subsided and the sparkle of sunshine lights your life again. Happy day to you.

    ReplyDelete